Guest Post by Hannah Almsted, Library Marketing Assistant.
No plans for a big summer vacation? Think again! Join us on a literary trip around the globe this summer. Spend a morning Under the Tuscan Sun with Frances Mayes, an afternoon Chasing Kangaroos in the outback with Tim Flannery, or an evening in The House of Spirits with Isabel Allende!
At the entrance to the main stacks, Payson Library staff have selected novels from six continents, each of which will take you on an adventure like no other. Look below to see a preview of some of the books currently on display!
Take a Literary Vacation: Books from Around the World
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Alaska)
- All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (Mexico)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (New York)
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Canada)
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck (California)
- City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
- Brazil by John Updike (Brazil)
- Candide by Voltaire (Peru, Argentina, Suriname, France)
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho (Spain)
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (France)
- The Rings of Saturn by W. G. Sebald (England)
- Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (Italy)
- Einstein’s Dreams (Switzerland)
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo (India)
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (Singapore)
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan)
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (China)
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (Japan)
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Congo)
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
- Circling the Sun by Paula McLain (Kenya)
- The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Botswana)
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
- Oscar & Lucinda by Peter Carey
- Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
- Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington
- The Secret River by Andrew Bovell and Kate Grenville
- Chasing Kangaroos by Tim Flannery
Come join Payson Library as we travel through each continent via some of the best literature produced by authors around the globe.
For the latest updates from the Pepperdine Libraries, join our e-mail list or follow us on Instagram (@pepperdine_libraries), Twitter (@PeppLibraries), or Facebook. Support our work by joining the Friends of the Libraries or making a gift today.