Guest Post by Hannah Almsted, Library Marketing Assistant.
No plans for a big summer vacation? Think again! Join us on a literary trip around the globe this summer. Spend a morning Under the Tuscan Sun with Frances Mayes, an afternoon Chasing Kangaroos in the outback with Tim Flannery, an evening in The House of Spirits with Isabel Allende, and so much more.
At the entrance to the main stacks, Payson has selected a handful of novels from six continents, each of which will take you on an adventure like no other. A complete list of the world-wide book selection is featured below.
Take a Literary Vacation: Books from Around the World
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Alaska)
- All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (Mexico)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (New York)
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Canada)
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck (California)
- City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
- Brazil by John Updike (Brazil)
- Candide by Voltaire (Peru, Argentina, Suriname, France)
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho (Spain)
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (France)
- The Rings of Saturn by W. G. Sebald (England)
- Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (Italy)
- Einstein’s Dreams (Switzerland)
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo (India)
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (Singapore)
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan)
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (China)
- The Wind-Up Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (Japan)
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Congo)
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
- Circling the Sun by Paula McLain (Kenya)
- The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Botswana)
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
- Oscar & Lucinda by Peter Carey
- Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
- Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington
- The Secret River by Andrew Bovell and Kate Grenville
- Chasing Kangaroos by Tim Flannery
Come join Payson Library as we travel through each continent via some of literary’s finest pieces.
For the latest updates from the Pepperdine Libraries, join our e-mail list or follow us on Instagram (@pepperdine_libraries), Twitter (@PeppLibraries), or Facebook. Support our work by joining the Friends of the Libraries or making a gift today.